Monday, June 20, 2011

Baby Sign Language

American Sign Language. Signing Exact English.  My interest in sign language was discovered long ago.  During my undergraduate education, I really hated that I had to take a foreign language, especially one that I never understood how it would help me, like French.  Thus, I wrote an appeal to the Registrar at Dana proposing that I be allowed to transfer 2 sign language course and a deaf culture class to meet my foreign language requirement.  I was so excited when it was accepted. I completed the proposed requirements with flying colors, but like any language you have to use or you lose it. 

After having my daughter this past fall, I knew this was the perfect way to start signing again and a way to keep using it.  Studies have shown that when babies learn sign language, it provides him or her with skills and tools for earlier communication. Frustration and outbursts are lessened, because baby can immediately communicate his wants/needs until he can physically pronounce it. Learning sign language does not delay speech but in fact aids speech development. Most baby signers speak earlier than babies who do not learn baby sign language. 

My curriculum unit is all about baby sign language.  There is a great video series by Baby Signing Times (BST). The below video from Baby Sign Times on colors



3 comments:

  1. Cute video! I love the series "Signing Time"! Alex and Leah are adorable. My daughter has not watched them yet since she is just 1 year old. She signs quite a few words though and I love it! She just started signing "stop" this weekend! I'm a proud Mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool video...I wish I knew more about this program. It seems really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an adorable video. I think that baby sign language is great. I don't have kids of my own, but I know several people who do and encourage their children to learn sing language. I think that several day cares and preschools are incorporating sign language in to part of their activities or "curriculum." I think that your curriculum project is going to be very interesting!

    ReplyDelete