Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Terra Beethe Introduction


Name: Terra Beethe

Introduction: My career in the education field started in 1999 when I completed my undergraduate degree in Elementary Education/Special Education from Dana College. My teaching experience includes one year full time in a K-6 special education classroom, along with three summer sessions at Boys town, several long term substitute positions, and as a tutor at the Sylvan Learning Center. 

In 2004, when I earned a Master’s degree in the area of reading in 2004, I decided not to return to the classroom. For the past seven years, I have worked at Bellevue University as their Disability Services Specialist.  I enjoy my work as I get to assist students that have a documented disability and ensure they receive their academic accommodations.  I do miss the classroom, but enjoy the opportunities my current position provides.  I am very active in the national organization called AHEAD (Association of Higher Education And Disability) and was recently elected Secretary on their Board of Directors.

Yet, the biggest joys in life are my husband, Greg, and my daughter, Mallory, which was born this past September.  Each day is a new adventure with Mallory and I love witnessing all of “firsts”. 

Technology has always been a big part of my life.  I met my husband online in 1997 through a bulletin board system.  We are currently using Skype at BU for peer tutoring, Wiki for our information distribution to staff and students. My favorite technology is the software program dragon naturally speaking.  This piece of software converts speech to text is awesome and a huge time saver for me each day as part of my job function is documenting conversations. My favorite website at the moment has got to be Facebook. It allows me to stay connected with family and friends all over the world, and I get share the latest picture or fun accomplishment of Mallory’s.

I hope to learn so much more about the different technology available as this class will help meet the requirement to keep my teaching certificate active. 


K – What I Know
W – What I Want to Know
L – What I Learned
ü   I know how to make a page on wiki

ü  How to make these pages barrier free to all students

ü  How to use twitter

ü  How is this media educational and useful in the classroom

ü  How to use social media sites

ü  How to use these items effectively with students


5 comments:

  1. Terra - I enjoyed reading through your introduction, especially about the variety of ways you use technology in your field of work already. These classes are a great way to meet new people who can introduce us to new forms of technology we may not be familiar with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terra-
    I too enjoyed reading the variety of technology that Bellevue University is currently using. Dragon seems really interesting to use and I've thought about it for some of the students in my room!
    I also went to Dana. I don't know how it is for you, but there are times that it is hard to believe its closed. I appreciated the opportunities the school provided.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you have moved on to the University level. I would actually like to do the same, by getting a master's in History. There are many times that I feel like I need to work with older people that aren't Jr. high kids and there can actually have a discussion and want to learn.

    One question is what did you mean by saying you wanted to make wiki pages barrier free to your students.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Charlie,

    The post secondary level is nice yet, I do miss my elementary students as they haven't gained the perspective that they are the customer and always right.

    Barrier Free is another way of saying accessible. Since I work with students with disabilities and BU is 70% online instruction, I often run into difficulties with students who are unable to access the information. Particularly those with visual or hearing impairments. Flash is inaccessible to screen readers and Blackboard is challenging for many with visual impairments as well. I haven't tested the wiki much with students and I am curious what the results will be.

    I am excited to meet you as you were a stand out athlete for Weeping Water. My grandparents lived in Weeping Water for several decades until they passed away. My father also graduated from Weeping Water many moons ago!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terra,

    I did Deaf Education as part of my undergrad program. I taught in Boystown's Deaf and Hard of Hearing preschool program for a year before getting my daughter was born last summer. I teach Taya, my daughter, sign language and she uses it regularly. She attends and in-home daycare in which one of the ladies is deaf. I love having her sign to let me know what she wants/needs!

    ReplyDelete